My personal recommendations for books, articles, essays, and blogs.
I only recommend text I’ve read, enjoyed, and/or found useful in some way. Inevitably there are chunks which I’ve missed, especially online resources, but most of it I have approved. Decisions to exclude are of equal importance to those of inclusion.
- The American Scholar: William Zinsser
Whenever I write, I try to write like Zinsser.
- Nicholas Carr’s blog
Nicholas Carr is an exceptionally talented writer who focuses on technology, business, and it’s impact on society.
- The Shallows: What the Internet Is Doing to Our Brains by Nicholas Carr
Carr’s research and writing on what the internet is doing to our brains.
- The Big Switch: Rewiring the World, from Edison to Google by Nicholas Carr
On the history of technology (specifically pieces of technology that have significantly impacted the world), and cloud computing.
- Paul Graham’s Essays on Technology
Paul Graham is a computer scientist, entrepreneur, and, most importantly, talented writer.
- China in Ten Words by Yu Hua, Allan H. Barr
Autobiographical account of modern Chinese history by acclaimed author, Yu Hua.
- River Town: Two Years on the Yangtze (China trilogy #1) by Peter Hessler
First book by Hessler in three-part series about two years spent in Sichuan province starting in 1996.
- Oracle Bones: A Journey Between China’s Past and Present (China trilogy #2) by Peter Hessler
Second book by Hessler about living in Beijing and China’s recent transformation through the analogy of fossils.
- Country Driving: A Journey Through China from Farm to Factory (China trilogy #3) by Peter Hessler
Third and final book by Hessler about taking a road trips across China in the summer of 2001.
- Wish Lanterns: Young Lives in New China by Alec Ash
Wish Lanterns is a well-crafted novel about China’s contemporary youth.
- In Line Behind a Billion People: How Scarcity Will Define China’s Ascent in the Next Decade by Damien Ma, William Adams
A powerful explanation and analysis of contemporary China’s scarcity problems.
- The Party: The Secret World of China’s Communist Rulers by Richard McGregor
A seminal work on the CCP and how it influences different aspects of life in China.
- Factory Girls: From Village to City in a Changing China by Leslie T. Chang
Chang explores the lives of young female migrant workers in Dongguan, China, during the early 2,000’s.
- TAO TE CHING Paperback – 1993 by Man-Ho; Palmer, Martin; Ramsay, Jay Kwok (Author)
Fundamental work on Taoist philosophy.
- Man’s Search for Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl
A holocaust survivor’s take on life’s meaning.
- Meditations by Marcus Aurelius, Martin Hammond (Translator, Notes), Diskin Clay (Introduction)
A Roman emperor and philosopher writings and aphorisms.
- The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment by Eckhart Tolle
An interesting and well-written book on developing presence.
- The Effective Executive: The Definitive Guide to Getting the Right Things Done
How to organize yourself in the business of knowledge work.
- Waking Up: A Guide to Spirituality Without Religion
Finance and Investing
- The Ascent of Money: A Financial History of the World
- The Coffeehouse Investor: How to Build Wealth, Ignore Wall Street, and Get On with Your Life
- Liar’s Poker
- The Big Short